Technical Support Associate for Science
A Technical Support Associate for Science provides high-level technical support, and in-depth scientific support to customers and project teams. As part of their regular duties, they work closely with laboratory staff to understand and troubleshoot scientific issues, and ensure services are functioning properly. They make recommendations based on their recognition of a customer’s current and future product needs during their continued business relationship. They are the proverbial “face of the company” and immediately responsible for customer satisfaction.
Science support associates are expected to have a reasonable knowledge of the scientific concepts surrounding pharmacogenomics, along with the communication and interpersonal skills required to explain those concepts in layman’s terms. The ideal candidate has deep experience performing bench work in a molecular biology laboratory and the technical acumen and problem solving skills required to troubleshoot and solve customer issues ranging from PCR or sequencing hiccups to technical integration failures.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or a related field
- Minimum 1 year of experience working in a laboratory (preferably molecular biology or related)
- Demonstrated knowledge of pharmacogenomics
- Demonstrated technical acumen (some coding experience preferred)
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a customer-facing role with demonstrated customer service skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to explain sophisticated topics
- Detail oriented, with effective investigation and problem solving skills
- Ability to multi-task, handle multiple projects, and drive a project to completion
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional teams and build relationships internally and externally
- Able to interpret customer needs and identify potential business opportunities
Science Technical Account Manager Responsibilities:
- Maintain high level of customer satisfaction
- Take ownership of customer issues reported and see problems through to resolution
- Research, diagnose, troubleshoot genetic testing anomalies and identify root causes and solutions to resolve customer issues
- Follow standard procedures for proper escalation of unresolved issues to the appropriate internal teams
- Provide prompt and accurate feedback to customers
- Ensure proper recording and closure of all issues
- Prepare accurate and timely reports
- Document knowledge in the form of knowledge base tech notes and articles
- Communicate with clients and internal teams to solidify implementation schedules
- Document technical requirements, schedules and client interactions
- Coordinate the installation and integration of services for customers
- Collaborate with product development team to solve bugs and design features that reduce customer issues
- Build strong cross-functional working relationships with Development, Product Management, and Science teams
The Ideal Candidate:
- Excellent Communicator. You have excellent listening, written, and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate at all levels within Translational and with customers. You are able to empathize with customers and can explain highly-technical issues to a non-technical audience.
- Energy and Enthusiasm. You are ready and excited to tackle the dynamic challenges typical of a startup environment.
- Strong Work Ethic. You love solving problems, and the clock striking 5PM doesn’t change that fact.
Self-directed. You don’t wait for direction or clarification – you seek it out.
- Problem Solver. You have strong scientific, analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Quick Learner. You have the ability to learn new technology and business processes, and you take the initiative to seek out information when you’ve identified room for growth.
- Cat Herder. You’re a superb multi-tasker that loves to work with cross-functional teams, driving issues to closure and new functionality to market.
- Team Player. You get along with others and contribute positively to the team environment. You have a positive attitude and a sense of humor.
- Experienced. You routinely provide technical support for software or web-based products, even if only to friends and family. You have basic knowledge of a coding or scripting language, such as HTML or SQL.